Many people don’t realize how important it is to keep your gun clean. Just like anything else we use in everyday life, a gun also needs to be maintained to operate the way it is indeed for it to be. Reasons for cleaning and maintaining: Longevity, you will find out how your gun works, and assuring safety and reliability.
Supplies you’ll need to clean a gun: Cleaning solvent, gun oil, bore brush, patch holder and patches, cleaning rod, nylon cleaning brush, flashlight, cotton swabs, and a microfiber cloth.
Steps to cleaning:
- It is very important that your gun is unloaded. You will want to release the magazine, and to check the barrel to see if there is a bullet in the chamber from the previous round. THIS STEP IS VERY SERIOUS AND MUST BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.
- Disassemble your gun. Each gun is assembled differently, so you will want to read your guns owners manual before doing so. Never disassemble the gun more than the manual suggests.
- Never clean your gun in the garage unless the door is open. Gun oil isn’t a pleasant smell, and solvent fumes can make you sick.
- Clean the barrel with the cleaning rod and patches. You will want to first soak the bore. Then, using a cleaning rod, patch holder, and a cotton patch. Push the bore all the way through the barrel of the gun then remover the patch. Do not pull the patch back as it will leave dirt behind.
- Alternate the bore brush and patches to thoroughly scrub the barrel. You will repeat this step till the patch comes out clean
- Lube the barrel with gun oil using a cotton swab.
- Reassemble your gun.
- Polish you gun off.
Gun cleaning should be done after every use of the gun, not doing this will result in a fault gun, and reduce its life. Happy cleaning!